Sometimes a stairlift isn’t compatible with your mobility or home, but that doesn’t mean you are out of options for accessibility. Platform lifts are available for wheelchair users or others who may not be a good fit for stairlifts. Also known as a wheelchair lift, platform lifts are often the most convenient and affordable way for those in a wheelchair to access all levels of their home.
As experts in accessibility modifications, we at Accessibility Solutions 360 are well-versed in platform lifts for Central PA residents.
Platform lifts eliminate the need for leaving your wheelchair when accessing other floors in your home, reducing stress associated with the risk of accidents while transporting yourself from a wheelchair to stairlift back to a wheelchair on a new floor. It also eliminates the need for wheelchairs on each floor. There are numerous benefits to the two main types of platform lifts.
Types of Platform Lifts
As mentioned, there are two main types of platform lifts:
- Inclined platform lifts allow wheelchair users to ascend and descend the stairs, similar to a stairlift but designed to transport wheelchair users without having to leave their wheelchair.
- Vertical platform lifts are designed to stop at multiple levels to allow access to floors without impeding the steps. When there is available vertical space vertical platform lifts can minimize the space required to access multiples levels.
If you aren’t sure which type of platform lift would be the best fit for your home, give us a call! We can help determine which type makes the most sense for you and your home during our free, no-obligation in-home assessment!
Benefits of a Platform Lift
While each type of platform lift has its own pros and cons, overall platform lifts have a range of benefits.
- Peace of mind. A platform lift of either type can restore your peace of mind as you no longer have to worry about the risk of moving from wheelchair to stairlift and back to wheelchair again. The streamlined process of a platform lift removes much of the risk associated traversing between floors for wheelchair users.
- Regained independence. As not all wheelchair users will be comfortable moving from their wheelchair to a stairlift, platform lifts provide a level of independence not offered by other accessibility modifications.
- Safe mobility. Platform lifts provide safe mobility and access to multiple floors within your home.
If you or a loved one could benefit from a platform lift in your home, don’t wait to contact us. We can schedule your in-home assessment to get you started on the path to accessibility!
For more information about platform lifts for your Central PA home, call Accessibility Solutions 360 at 888-837-6818 or request a free estimate.